What I do is remove FreeBSD's adduser script and make my own, which does
something like this:

pw useradd $USERNAME -g users -L users -m -s /bin/true -k /etc/skel \
|| exit
passwd $USERNAME
echo $USERNAME > /home/$USERNAME/.qmail-default
chmod 711 /home/$USERNAME

Of course, you need an /etc/skel with a properly set up Maildir (plus
.qmail, public_html or anything else you want) and edit those tags to suit
your requirements.

HTH,

James Smallacombe                     PlantageNet, Inc. CEO and Janitor
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://3.am