Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
Hello,

Hope you can advise me. I have a FreeBSD 6.1 stable system for which I want to build a custom kernel. However, I am scared to death (almost ;) and just want to make sure I have it done the right way.

I have in the past used supfile with ports-all option and couldn't build a custom kernel. Yesterday it dawned on me that I need sources for that, not ports. So I ran cvsup with src-all option. Now, I followed these steps:

# cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
# mkdir /root/kernels
# cp GENERIC /root/kernels/LISTS
# ln -s /root/kernels/LISTS

then I used procedure 2 for building the kernel the new way.

# cd /usr/src
# make buildkernel KERNCONF=LISTS

It all went well without any complaint (I was really puzzled - when it comes to IT, I usually see half-empty glasses...) but now I wonder. My next step is supposed to be make installkernel KERNCONF=LISTS

Is it OK to do it on an already configured system? I have some usual applications like php, mysql, apache, exim MTA configured and working. So in other words I am trying to build a custom kernel not on a fresh install but on an already working system (operating for 25 days). It is not a webserver but it is running and needs these apps. My fear is that I am likely to break something.

Have I done the right steps? Do you think I can progress with make installkernel?

I have also a question about the last command in the recipe:

Now, shutdown the system and reboot to use your new kernel.

Will shutdown -r now be enough? Or do I have to boot in single user mode?

Sorry if all of these seems obvious. I am new to FreeBSD. Thank you very much in advance!

Warm regards,

--
Zbigniew Szalbot
Building and installing a new custom kernel? Usually the steps consist of: