Hi,

>   With the gracious help of a poster here, I managed to get roundcube up and
> running, and had to resort to MySQL, which I know very little of.
>
>   After it was all up and running, and we'd added the users and tested their
> access to webmail, we decided to put some more memory into the machine.  So a
> quick shutdown later, and we were powering back up.  Disaster: MySQL didn't
> start and so roundcube mail just gives us 'service currently unavailable' !!
>
>   I've scoured the MySQL website, FAQ, etc., but can I start the damned
> database?  Can I hell.
>
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED]/usr/local/bin(111): ./mysqladmin start
>   ./mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock'
> (2)'
> Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

You say too little about your system to allow proper help.

How did you install MySQL? Fro the source? From the ports? From
package?

If you installed MySQL through FreeBSD mechanism, it should be started
with the comand:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql.sh start

provided you have put mysql_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf

Else youmust locate your MySQL log file and see why it is not
starting, if it is failingbecause of some error.

mysqladmin is a command to MySQL database server, so it suppose that
MySQL is running beforeyou can issue any mysqladmin command.

Bests,

Olivier