On Oct 13, 2006, at 12:03 PM, Richard McIntyre wrote:
I'm having a similar problem,
Oct 13 03:01:31 tco1 kernel: ad2: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=181778119 Oct 13 07:11:15 tco1 kernel: ad2: FAILURE - READ_DMA status=51<READY,DSC,ERROR> error=40<UNCORRECTABLE> LBA=181778119

I'm assuming that particular sector on the drive is dying, I have backed everything up on the drive, can anyone give me more information, should the drive simply be replaced or is it possible that this is simply a TOC error and could be corrected by newfs to the drive?

I'm guessing it will need to be replaced, output of smartctl is below....

You can try doing a "dd if=/dev/ad2 of=/dev/null bs=64k" in order to read all of the sectors on the disk and get a better feel for how well it is doing. But it certainly appears that your drive has run into enough errors that it no longer has spare sectors available to replace the failing sectors-- you should replace it soon.

--
-Chuck