Bill Moran wrote:

>> I'm looking to run VMware on my FreeBSD box and note that version 3 is in
>> the ports.
>>
>> I've not tried running Linux software ontop of FreeBSD, but how easy is it
>> to download the free VMware Server software off their site and install so I
>> get the most recent version, and more importantly a free one.
>>
>> Is it just a case of downloading and installing the binary through the usual
>> route or is it a bit more complex ?
>
> What's wrong with your email?  I got a bunch of HTML at the end?
>
> Anyway, VMWare is a special case.  It's got hooks deep into the Linux
> network drivers that (as far as I know) are a showstopper that prevents
> VMWare from running under the Linuxulator.
>
> If you learn differently, I'd love to hear it, but it's not possible
> as far as I know.

Every time I attend a trade show at which VMware has a booth, I always
stop by to ask about any plans for supporting VM hosting on FreeBSD, and
to encourage the thought.

No one has ever given the slightest indication that this is even
remotely likely to happen in the foreseeable future.

The usual reason given is that FreeBSD's market share does not come
close to justifying the VMware company resources that would be required
to support it. Couldn't hurt to keep bugging 'em though.