--- Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 13, 2006 at 01:34:36PM -0700,
> Danial Thom wrote:
> > Yeah, bury your head in the sand as always.
> >
> > Its been proven over and over. Robert Watson
> has
> > admitted many times that 6.x is not as fast
> as
> > 4.x uniprocessor
>
> FOR CERTAIN TASKS.  Your (misquoted) claim is
> demonstrably false in
> generality, which is what makes 6.x so useful
> to many people.

Bicycles are useful to many people, but that
doesn't make a case against discontinuing
building automobiles.

Unfortunately, the "certain tasks" that Freebsd
4.x is better at are squid, apache and networking
applications, which are the only viable reasons
to use the OS commercially.

I've yet to hear 1 (thats *one*) commercial
vendor who built a product on 4.x claim to move
to 5 or 6 because of its superior performance.
The only ones I know that have switched did so
because of some device they needed or SATA
support. I continue to be baffled by the
following after 4 years of complete failure to
make MP perform. Its almost like the entire user
base is drugged or something.

Linux 2.6 is not suitable for uniprocessor, nor
is FreeBSD 6. The difference is that Linux scales
with MP, and FreeBSD doesn't. So the case to keep
4.x as an option is an easy one to make.

DT