Jeff Palmer writes:

>  Whoever gave you the 'wipe and reinstall' advice for the 5.x to 6.x
>  migration was insane.

        "Need" is the wrong word; there are plenty of people who have
upgraded across major release boundaries to prove the contrary.
        Are there reasons to "wipe and reinstall"?  Sure.  I used to do
it all the time, as it cleaned out leftover libraries and config
files; it also gave me the chance to tweak partition sizes.
        To the OP: source updating is possible.  Read UPDATING; check
the mailing list archives; ask questions if you don't understand
what's happening.  As always, have a verified backup.

                                Robert Huff