On 01/11/03 12:06 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey sat at the `puter and typed:
> > <SNIP>
>
> This is the first time I've ever heard of a file called .Xclients.  I
> thought there must have been a gap in my education and went to RTFM.
> No mention of .Xclients.  I grepped the entire X11R6 source trees.  No
> mention of .Xclients.  I googled and got only 5,780 hits, most in
> Spanish or Dutch.  From what I can tell, .Xclients is a Red Hat-ism
> that is used by some other script, possibly .xinitrc.

  Yes, one of those things I carried over when I upgraded to FreeBSD.
Sorry, I should have mentioned that.

> > I can't find any docs on it.  Manpages aren't much help either.
>
> Read startx(1) and xinit(1) if you're starting X from a shell, and
> xdm(1) if you're using xdm.  The startup files are .xinitrc and
> .xsession respectively, and have been for at least ten years.

I read those, and they did help some.  I managed to parse out those
things I really wanted from my .Xclients and put them into the
.xinitrc.  That got me as far as the window manager starting up.

> > And since I can't get anythign running in X, I can't get a browser
> > up to go to xfree86.org and see.  Hell, I like the TTY terminals for
> > some things, but even Mutt is kindof a pain there.
>
> You can always start things manually from a vty:
>
>   xterm &
>
> That should at least get you started.

Yup.  I finally figured that one out <Slap to the forehead>.

> It would be interesting to know:

Sorry, more stuff I should have included . . .

> 1.  What window manager are you using?
fvwm2 - just upgraded it to fvwm2.4.14
> 2.  How are you starting X?
xdm thru /etc/ttys
> 3.  What's in your .xinitrc/.xsession?

.xsession
-------------------------
#!/usr/local/bin/bash
# preferred desktop

DISPLAY=:0.0
export DISPLAY
xset b 0 0 0
xset s noblank
xset m 5 4
xset r rate 300 30

xmodmap -e "clear Mod5"
/usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver-command -exit
/usr/X11R6/bin/xscreensaver &

xhost localhost

echo "  \
        \
        \
     " >> .FVWM-errors
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/fvwm2 2>> .FVWM-errors
seems to have the answer yet.

Thanks for your time

Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.keyslapper.org                     ԿԬ

Base 8 is just like base 10, if you are missing two fingers.
    -- Tom Lehrer