Jim Stapleton wrote:
yeah the ports make me fell in love with FreeBSD, the only thing that came
close to FreeBSD  ports is the gentoo portage,  note came close but not
really at par.

yeah, portage wasn't bad, but it wasn't as clean as ports either. More
errors, more fixing.
That's primarily because Gentoo is about the most bleeding edge you can get in the opensource OS 'market'. FBSD ports tend to be more tested and lag behind Gentoo portage quite a bit or do not offer some software packages that are available in FBSD.

Also, I'm not sure when you guys tried Gentoo, but as of late (within the past ~1 year), the quality of the packages and system as an OS has improved quite a bit, in the sense that many stable items now install and work properly in the OS. Another off-topic comment I admit, but I thought it should be mentioned...

I'd like to see portage in FBSD though, since ruby is pretty kludgy. Either that or a different means of recording package data and dependencies (been thinking of Perl for a while..).

-Garrett