Fortunately, the FreeBSD installer's disklabel program (the graphical
interactive one) was able to find the original partition information!
I assigned the mount points (I don't think that was necessary),
wrote ('W' from the screen) the label to disk again, it went thru
a series of fscks and all my partitions are back again. I didn't
try to install (restore) bootmanager, I merely mounted those
partitions and took the data out on to another disk.

I always thought the installer's disklabel program was same
as disklabel(8).

Thanks again to all those who replied (Gary, Mike Meyer)

(And thanks to maxtor
Made the first support call at 8AM, got a replacement
delivered at 2PM the next day!)

--
Hari Bhaskaran