Ian Lord wrote:
Hi,

I need to setup a high-availability setup for mail/web setup
1 Server holding all the websites data and mail messages. It would serve these files via nfs to the application servers.
        It would also run mysql

A second server Also sharing it's content via nfs, replicating it's data though rsync each ?? minutes. The mysql would run as a slave of the primary

Application Servers:
Both servers would be running apache, php, sendmail and posfix and would serve content from the share nfs drive.

1- Is this a viable solution, I mean by that, Is it Like this big ISP are set up ?

I don't know any of the answers for sure, but I'd bet they are both 'no'.

2- Is there a better way to replicate data than RSYNC (without going to san of expensive hardware) ? If not, is there a hotsync feature (I mean by that as soon as server A modify something, server B knows and replicate)?

I guess so.
First of all, I don't really understand the need to have four server, unless there is some point which you didn't tell us. Apart from that, I guess it would be a lot better to try and sync at the application level. MySQL should support this and I bet you can find something alike on the IMAP side (cyrus has that support, but I don't know how stable that is). That leaves you with file system replication only for web sites, but that should be ok as long as it's mostly read-only data.

 bye
        av.