Is there any particular reason why FreeBSD has csh as the
default root shell?  Nothing really wrong with it except that I
quit using csh about twelve years ago and so am a little rusty
about the finer details when I come across a csh shell.  On a
number of FreeBSD4.x systems, I used chsh to change root's shell
after installing bash and the only thing I noticed was that one
should be careful of the $PATH variable and make sure it at least
hits all the same directories in the same order.  Other than
that, it worked.

        On a recent upgrade to 5.4, I noticed the C shell is
still default so I figured I would ask before changing it so as
not to introduce hidden problems later.  Basically, I like bash
better and also add a couple more paths such as /usr/local/etc
for home-grown applications.

        Thanks for your thoughts.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer