I have two mice, one is a USB Microsoft Wireless Intellimouse Explorer (WIME), the other is a PS/2 Microsoft Cordless Wheel Mouse (CMM).
The CMM is configured and working (two-button functionality) in moused, and mostly working in X as a sysmouse. The part that doesn't work in X is the scroll wheel (although the wheen button does work). These are the InputDevice entry bits, which, according to documentation, should result in the scroll wheel working:
Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
Option "Protocol" "MouseSystems"
Option "Buttons" "5"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
----
The WIME does not work at all. I've tried setting it up as a sysmouse, but I get no functionality at all. Under X, configured to use the sysmouse pseudo-device, I get no functionality. With X configured to use the device directly (with moused disabled, of course), I get no functionality. X will fail to start, claiming an initialization error, if I make the WIME the CorePointer.
There are the InputDevice entry bits for the WIME, which, according to documentation, should work for a USB mouse:
Option "Device" "/dev/ums0"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Buttons" "7"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
In Linux, you can reportedly get this mouse to work by using the imps/2 protocol. Unfortunately, that protocol isn't included in the FreeBSD version of XF86 v4.2.1, as the kernel is supposed to have all the support required to get these mice to work.