Hi all,

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Kurt Buff wrote:

If you wish to characterize the traffic to and from the Internet by
protocol and/or user, then you'll have to do something more than
simply using SNMP to monitor throughput on the router. In that case,
you'll need to have your FreeBSD box actually parse the traffic, or
get a netflow from the router (assuming that it can do that.) and ntop
is a good start for the software you want, or perhaps etherape.
Assuming that netflow isn't available from the router (and I think
that's a fairly safe bet) the trick will be making sure that your
FreeBSD box will see the traffic, and for that you'll need something
like one of the following setups:

All I can do with the router is to enable logging to a syslog, which means I can connect it to FBSD, can't I?

But I understand now that things will be a little more difficult than I thought :). Anyway, thanks for all the pointers!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot