On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 05:44:01PM -0500, David Kelly wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 10:44:10PM +0100, Alex Zbyslaw wrote:
> >
> > Those have worked for me so far, and yes, it is labour intensive.
>
> If it was easy to do right then there wouldn't be any good reason for
> your boss not to hire the kid behind the counter at MacWhopperDoodle
> with a $0.50/hr raise to give your job to him.
>
> I agree with others. Ask what you want the hardware to do. Make
> selections then research as to whether your selections work well with
> FreeBSD. Don't fill a computer room on guesswork and reading, buy
> samples and test.
>
> Of particualar areas to pay attention:
>
> Video controllers. Look for X.org support.
>
> Disk controllers. Hardware RAID and the latest SATA chipsets may be an
> issue.
>
> Network interfaces. Most seem to work.
>
> Motherboard & CPU. FreeBSD seems to run on most any x86 but if you
> expect on board power management and health status you'll have to do
> some research.
>
> --
> David Kelly N4HHE, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad.

Regarding system boards, make sure you also check out the support for any
on-board components like networks interfaces, RAID controllers, audio and
video, firewire, etc.

I've got an ASUS K8N-E system board at home, but it uses the NVIDIA chipset
so virtually none of the on-board components function.

-Damian