Hello,

I have set up dovecot to log its data to the same log as exim does. This works fine till midnight when it comes to log rotation. Then exim still logs to its log but dovecot ignores it.

Now, I have done the homework, found that there is newsyslog.conf and read about flags. And I have the following entry in this file:

/var/log/exim/mainlog   mailnull:mail   640  60    *    @T00  ZC

I used to have a flag ZN but I read that the N flag actually makes syslogd ignore to inform other processes about a new file being rotated.

So I removed it and left only Z, restarted syslogd, but no joy after midnight. I then added C out of sheer dispair but dovecot still ignores the new log after midnight.

Could anyone suggest what I should do in order to make this work as intended?

Many thanks in advance!

--
Zbigniew Szalbot