I posted about this about a month ago, thought i had
it it figured out but I guess I fooled myself.

I have kde 3.5.4 installed in fbsd6.1.  I cannot print
from kde applications, such as the printer control
module, kpdf, etc.

I can print just_fine from OO.o, Firefox and Adobe
Reader 7.

The error kde gives me is:

usr/local/bin/lpr -P 'lp' '-#1'
'/usr/local/share/apps/kdeprint/testprint.ps' :
execution failed with message:
/usr/local/bin/lpr: Connection refused

I do have cups installed but it is not running or
enabled.

I dont understand why I can print from non-kde apps
but not from kde apps.

--Karl