The BSD whois command doesn't seem to get along well with the Verisign
whois server.  You get back every domain that includes MICROSOFT.COM
in it, e.g. MICROSOFT.COM.FILLS.ME.WITH.BELLIGERENCE.NET, even if you
attempt to specify the unique name with something like

whois "=MICROSOFT.COM"

A workaround is to use the above form of the command to get a list of
whois servers for each of the listed domains, and then query the
correct server for the one you are interested in, e.g.:

whois -h whois.opensrs.net microsoft.com

If that doesn't describe your situation, post an example of the
response you get.

- Bob