On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Eric wrote:

> James Smallacombe wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Oct 2006, Jerry McAllister wrote:
> >> True, but I think the poster was suggesting that dump/restore is
> >> a better way than using tar.
> >
> > I'm not as familiar with BSD dump...does it compress well?  Also, what's
> > this?
>
> Take a dump
> dump -0uanLf - /var | bzip2 | dd of=/some/path/dump-var-level0.bz2
> dump -0uanLf - / | bzip2 | dd of=/some/path/dump-root-level0.bz2
> dump -0uanLf - /usr | bzip2 | dd of=/some/path/dump-usr-level0.bz2
>
> Restore a dump
> To Restore Interactively

Thanks, this seems to be doing the trick.  However, I am getting a ton of
these upon restoring the contents of /usr on the new server:

warning: cannot create symbolic link
./src/sys/i386/compile/NEW_NS1.SMP/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/if_ppp/machine->/usr/src/sys/i386/include:
File exists

Is it just that the symlinks already exist on the new server and it won't
overwrite them the way they overwrite regular files?

Thanks again,

James Smallacombe                    Internet Access for The Delaware
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                        Valley in PA, NJ and DE
PlantageNet Internet Ltd.            http://www.pil.net