--On October 26, 2006 12:52:35 AM +0200 Niek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi experts,

Due to the recent security issue regarding openssl, I have to update a
server running 6_release. I was wondering if updating using binaries
using the freebsd-update utility is a viable alternative to recompiling
the world. What would you recommend?

It is so long as you haven't altered any of the kernel or base source files. If you have, you'll need to rebuild kernel and world. I use both methods; freebsd-update when I'm using a GENERIC kernel with no changes and the traditional method when the source has been altered, the kernel is customized or the processor is not supported under freebsd-update.

Paul Schmehl ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Senior Information Security Analyst
The University of Texas at Dallas
http://www.utdallas.edu/ir/security/