On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 09:05:14AM -0600, opbc wrote:

> Greetings to all,
> Could someone please tell me how to upgrade my venerable 4.2 to the newer
> and cooler version(s)?

I think you can do a series of successive cvsups and makes and merges
and do it all, but since 4.2 is much different than 6.xx, and since that
would involve several successive updates it might be quicker and easier
to just back up what you need to save and to a clean new install to the
latest version.  (That would be 6.1 at the moment, but 6.2 is scheduled
to be out shortly - schedule says Nov 13).

Then reload what you need from backups and voila, you're ready to run
again.

Otherwise, read carefully the sections in the FreeBSD handbook on cvsup
and updating and make buildxxx and make installxxx and mergemaster.
Follow those instructions and it will work.

////jerry