On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 06:18:44AM +0930, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 03:15 am, Gary Kline wrote:
> >     People,
> >
> >     Weeks ago I tried this *without* the --exclude flags and
> >     overwrote DOT file that I didn't want to.  Iust rechecked
> > this use of rsync, saving important files from my work server
> > elseswhere, and see that some files or directories are being
> > listed and copied over.  IDoes anything obvious jump out here?
> >
> >     gary
> >

> > #
> > ## test2ethos.sh
> > #
> >
> >    rsync -Cptuvaz -n -e "ssh -i
> > /home/kline/.ssh/tao_XXXYYYZZZ-id" \ --exclude
> > /home/kline/.zlogin  \
> >        --exclude /home/kline/.zshrc  \
> >        --exclude /home/kline/.zhistory.*  \
>
> An ambiguous argument to the --exclude
> option /home/kline/.zhistory.* will need to be quoted . . .
>          --exclude '/home/kline/.zhistory.*' \
>
> otherwise it is expanded by the shell before reaching rsync
> and then only the first referenced file is preceded by --exclude.
> So instead of being excluded the transfer of the rest of the
> expansion is emphasised. I don't know how rsync will then deal
> with subsequent options.

        Hm, I didn't think I saw .ctwm..  Or .mozilla.   Thanks much;
        I'll play around and see.

        gary

> >        --exclude /home/kline/.ctwrm  \
> >        --exclude /home/kline/.mozilla  \
> >        --exclude /home/kline/.evolution  \
> >        --exclude /home/kline/4zip/  \
> >        --exclude '/home/kline/www/'  \
> >        /home/kline [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/kline
> >    if [ $? =  0 ]
> >    then
> >       echo "rsync transfer went okay: tao to ethos"
> >    else
> >       echo "rsync failed to ethos from /home/kline"|mail
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] fi
>
> Malcolm

Gary Kline  Seattle BSD Users' Group (seabug)      | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
            Thought Unlimited Org's Alternate Email Site
            http://www.magnesium.net/~kline
   To live is not a necessity; but to live honorably...is a necessity. -Kant