Gary Kline skrev:
        People,

        Weeks ago I tried this *without* the --exclude flags and
        overwrote DOT file that I didn't want to.  Iust rechecked this
        use of rsync, saving important files from my work server
        elseswhere, and see that some files or directories are being
        listed and copied over.  IDoes anything obvious jump out here?

        gary

#
## test2ethos.sh
#

   rsync -Cptuvaz -n -e "ssh -i /home/kline/.ssh/tao_XXXYYYZZZ-id" \
       --exclude /home/kline/.zlogin  \
       --exclude /home/kline/.zshrc  \
       --exclude /home/kline/.zhistory.*  \
       --exclude /home/kline/.ctwrm  \
       --exclude /home/kline/.mozilla  \
       --exclude /home/kline/.evolution  \
       --exclude /home/kline/4zip/  \
       --exclude '/home/kline/www/'  \
       /home/kline [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/home/kline

Hope this might help.
From man rsync:
"global include/exclude patterns are anchored at the "root of the transfer"
in man rsync look for: "INCLUDE/EXCLUDE PATTERN RULES"
and "ANCHORING INCLUDE/EXCLUDE PATTERNS"

Regards, Lars

   if [ $? =  0 ]
   then
      echo "rsync transfer went okay: tao to ethos"
   else
      echo "rsync failed to ethos from /home/kline"|mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]
   fi