When exactly do you see the message?  Right after you login?
As soon as I hit the connect button after typing in the IP address of the FreeBSD box or using
the afp address.

Can you
send your AppleVolumes.default
This just has the ~ (tilde) at the end so the home directory will get mounted

as well as your afpd.conf files?
Everything in this file is commented out. In the file this is noted:
"The simplest case is to not have an afpd.conf"
I've always run Netatalk without anything in this file without any problems.

Does
the user you're logging in as have a valid shell?
Yes.