Hmm, this is odd.  I noticed the load go through the roof on the laptop
sitting next to me; not surprising during buildworld.

But then I looked closer, starred, and called up top.  The load was
reported at 14.97.  X is running, a "portupgrade -arF" was running, and
there's an idle lyx.

How in the rold did that many processes get launched from -j4?  It's
still there, above 12 or so for the right-hand 40% or so of my xload
window.

hawk
--
Richard E. Hawkins, Asst. Prof. of Economics    /"\   ASCII ribbon campaign
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  Smeal 178  (814) 375-4700      \ /   against HTML mail