Ok... good tip thanks.  That would definitely leave my db/pkg out of
whack.  I wonder if a 'portupgrade -af' would fix that up?

I doubt it. How would portupgrade know what is installed (to which -a applies) without a package database?

I'll wait for others to weigh in as well on option 1 before going this
way.

Thanks.

The downside of this (option 2) is you'll loose some important
information about your system, /var/db/pkg comes first to my mind. If
you don't have any backups try to recover anything you can first. Good
luck!

Thanks,
Eric

HTH,