If the drive has a physical failure in the mechanism or media, you may need to send it off to ontrack and have them try to recover the data.

        -Derek

At 11:24 PM 11/7/2006, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> > I am wondering if there is a way to read the physical blocks (those
> > that are readable) and save the data, from that I could be able to
> > rebuild some of the mailboxes.
>
> dd if=/scsi_drive of=/some/file/name
>
> Should read anything readable, though without bs=xxx it may be
> quite slow.  You can usually then mount the file via mdconfig(8).
> If the partition table is intact you can specify that instead of the
> whole disk. This can make the fiddly bit with trying to figure out
> exactly what part will mount under md(4).

I tried

dd if=/dev/da0s1 of=/somefile

dd stopped after a short while with I/O error, after a number of SCSI
reading errors.

best regards,

Olivier

believed to be clean.