Hi,
Running 6.1 installed from the most recent .iso CD and sync'd ports through CVS, I wish to have the Ventrilo port start up as a daemon upon reboot, however, I'm not having any success in having this happen. I did some searching with Google and found little information specific to FreeBSD for Ventrilo at all, let alone a start up script. The port has one, but it seems to not work, rather it is that I do not know how to make it work properly. Trying to run it results in it exiting out without anything starting. Searching the Handbook, I found that section on rc.d, and modifying a sample script there I was able to get Ventrilo to start from the script, however, it still wouldn't work if I put a line in /etc/rc.conf
ventrilo_enable="YES"
And this was with the script into /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ as well.
So what I am wondering is what I am missing and/or supposed to do with the script that came with the port given below? If someone could point me in the right direction, that would be great. Am I doing things correctly with /etc/rc.conf or is there something else I should be trying. In the meantime, I'll continue to work on learning shell scripting so that I can understand the scripts better.
Thank you,
Miles

#!/bin/sh

# PROVIDE: ventrilo
# REQUIRE: NETWORKING
# KEYWORD: FreeBSD shutdown

[ -z "${ventrilo_enable}" ] && ventrilo_enable="NO"
[ -z "${ventrilo_port}" ] && ventrilo_port="3784"
[ -z "${ventrilo_srv}" ] && ventrilo_srv="localhost"

. /etc/rc.subr

prefix=/usr/local

name=ventrilo
homedir="${prefix}/ventrilo-server"
pidfile="${homedir}/ventrilo_srv.pid"
ventrilo_user=${name}
command="${homedir}/ventrilo_srv"
command_args="'-f${homedir}/ventrilo_srv' -d >/dev/null"
extra_commands="info"
info_cmd="ventrilo_info"

rcvar=`set_rcvar`

load_rc_config $name

ventrilo_info()
{
       if [ "$1" != "" ]; then
               ventrilo_srv="$1"
       fi
       if [ "$2" != "" ]; then
               ventrilo_port="$2"
       fi
       echo -n "Password []: "
       oldttymodes=`stty -g`
       stty -echo
       read ventrilo_passwd
       stty $oldttymodes
${homedir}/ventrilo_status -c2 "-t${ventrilo_srv}:${ventrilo_port}:${ventrilo_passwd}"
}

run_rc_command $*

P.S. I did send a message to the maintainer, however, have not heard back in about 3 days and do not wish to pester him. He may never have received the message or might be unavailable.