On Nov 13, 2006, at 01:28, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

Apple also doesen't use the UNIX security model.  As near as I can
tell their core security model is an ACL model not a user/group model.
Once again this is something that's handled elsewhere.

The user-group security model is alive and the heart of OS-X security. It is used throughout the system even within the user's home directory where there are files the user cannot access. This causes problems for backup progrms that want to be run by the user with a window interface as they can't backup those files. ACLs are available but not used by default. The user has to create them if desired. There used to be a FreeBSD project to add ACLs but I don't know its status. i suspect the two implementations will be very similar.