On Sun, 12 Nov 2006, David Kelly wrote:

On Nov 12, 2006, at 5:03 PM, Erik Norgaard wrote:

So I thought: Is this like ethernet that I need a crossed cable or can I connect the two with an ordinary cable and check that it works?

There is no master nor slave in Firewire, all are peers, and all have (essentially) the same socket. If the cable fits, it works. Witness the difference between a hardware standard driven by Apple (Firewire) and one from Intel/Microsoft (USB).

Apple computers can be booted in "target mode" where the machine becomes nothing more than a Firewire hard drive. Only works for the primary drive, but works well. Apple recommends this mode (and Migration Assistant) for cloning user data and applications from one Mac to another.

You might also try fwe(4) if your other OS's are capable of doing IP over firewire.

fwe(4) emulates an ethernet interface and is a non-standard method of making Firewire become a network interface. If would work with other BSDs? or Mac OS/X? possibly.

fwip(4) is what Windows and a lot of other operating systems use to accomplish this feat. Last I check, it was no in the generic kernel and had to be compiled in, specified in the loader.conf(5), or loaded with kldload(8).

#device         fwe             # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)
#device         fwip            # IP over FireWire

I had the fwip driver working with a Windows XP box for a little while. It worked fairly well, but I don't think it was really any faster than ethernet (at least for what I was doign with it).

Hope this helps.

George Fazio N3GQF
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]