When I switched to 6.0, then 6.1, it was noticed by most of my clients
that my php/mysql/apache system slowed down a fair bit compared to previous
version (5.XX).

I always like to be on the bleeding edge of FreeBSD, but the performance
hit is being commented about by my (few) mysql/php clients.

I've seen the "trolls" of past about speed and previous versions, and I
would really be interested to hear the actual truth about 6.XX speed.
It is my understanding that 6.XX is more optimized for multi-processors,
and that for a single processor, 5.XX (or even 4.XX) outperforms 6.XX.

Would someone please outline the choices/drawbacks/concerns of even
considering going back a series?

Thanks, Jim