David Kelly wrote:
On Nov 12, 2006, at 5:03 PM, Erik Norgaard wrote:

So I thought: Is this like ethernet that I need a crossed cable or can I connect the two with an ordinary cable and check that it works?

There is no master nor slave in Firewire, all are peers, and all have (essentially) the same socket. If the cable fits, it works. Witness the difference between a hardware standard driven by Apple (Firewire) and one from Intel/Microsoft (USB).

You might also try fwe(4) if your other OS's are capable of doing IP over firewire.

Thanks, both run FreeBSD and I was thinking of trying fwe. I just don't know enough to feel certain I wouldn't short circuit and fry both devices if I connected them with a standard cable.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org
X.509 Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/8D03551FFCE04F0C.crt