I have a FreeBSD 6.x machine with an ath interface that serves as a wireless
access point, dhcp server, router and gateway for my network.

I have a FreeBSD 6.x laptop with an older wi interface that until recently
was working just fine, using the base system dhclient. However, the other
day when I fired it up it couldn't get an IP address from the dhcp server.
Watching the logs I could see the server sending DHCPOFFER's, but the
laptop wasn't receiving them for some reason.

The same laptop booted to Windows gets an IP address just fine. Back on the
FreeBSD side, I installed the net/isc-dhcp3-client port and it also gets an
address just fine.

The only think I can think of that changed between the last time this worked
and the other day is the version of the dhcpd port running on the router. I
updated to the 3.0.5-RC2 version of the net/isc-dhcp3-server port from the
3.0.4 version.

What I'm wondering is how I can tell if this is a bug in the new dhcpd, a
bug in the base system dhclient (newly exposed by a change in the dhcp
server), or something else entirely (wi driver quirk? phase of the moon?).
Any ideas?

If this is something unique to my setup then I can live with my solution,
but if it's an actual bug then I'd like to report it in the hopes of saving
someone else the same headache.

Thanks,

JN