On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 02:31:26PM -0500, Jay Gordon wrote:

> That's the way I would go about it.
>
> Jay Gordon
> Unix Systems Administrator
> DataPipe Managed Hosting Services
> - What It Means To Be Sure -
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  http://www.datapipe.com
> Tel: 201.792.1918 x2402 |  Fax: 201-792-3090

Well, it might depend a lot on what sort of stuff you have accumulated
by using those ports.   If it is basically compatible with the ports
versions that go along with 6.2 (same file formats, etc) and if you have
your own data well separated from OS and ports working storage, then the
whole process might be easier as a clean new install - even on a clean
new (bigger - might as well now when it is easy) disk.

Mainly, I think it will take less time to do the single new install
than to do multiple upgrades and builds to bring things up to date.
I believe there are also some file system improvements that you will
miss if you do not rebuild the file systems at the 6.xxx level.

If some of your third party stuff or ports make incompatible changes
in formats of data that you want to keep, then you might have to make
incremental steps to make sure it uses whatever conversions are put
in the upgrade processes along the way.   I don't know of any off hand,
but I use only a limited set of ports so just may not run across them.

You would need to make handy copies of config files which you may
have to hand merge to get everything up and running - not so much
for the main OS as possibly for some ports, but you might have to
do that anyway - which ever way you do it.

Once you get things up and running at 6.2 or whatever, then import
the data you want to keep and you should be OK.

A clean install is also a possibly good time to reorganize where things
are kept and how they are organized if you have felt the need.

I did a couple of clean install jumps from 4.xx to 6.1 and really
had no problem a while back.

Have fun,

////jerry