Bill Moran wrote:

I was looking into a Network/Server monitoring application that would do the following

Must have features
email/page/sms if one of the rules fail
has the ability to of course ping the device, ssh into or have someway of checking if a daemon is running.

Optional but nice features
reporting statistics and system status (web based)
The statistics are already there in the Nagios web interface.

restart a failed daemon
Could be done with an event handler maybe.

syslog parsing
No idea.

remote administration
It's web interface can be used as remotely as you deem secure. We use a VPN (I work remotely).

Nagios is a popular choice for this.  It has a gazillion different types
of checks it can do, but it doesn't do all your nice to haves.

Nagios can also be very heavily modified with custom plugins. Certainly worth looking into. There is a site dedicated to custom plugins at
http://www.nagiosexchange.org.

DAve

Veterans?