On Wed, 15 Nov 2006, Chris Hastie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
But with the WD drive I see only one line:

umass0: Western Digital External HDD, rev 2.00/6.02, addr 2

Well it appears that I have solved this problem by recompiling the kernel with

device      ehci

It could, of course, be that I left the drive plugged in when I rebooted after compiling and it works OK as long as it is there at boot time. But I can unplug and replug it at will now.

So I hit another problem, which I'll raise in another post...
--
Chris Hastie