Dear community,

I am having continuous problems with ADSL connections and FreeBSD servers.
I am running a few dozens of FreeBSD boxes and today in the morning a lot of
them were without internet connectivity. Looks like our provider had some
maintenance work or something.

What happened: the tech guy at one of the customers first rebooted the server
2 times and then he called me. We tried together:

1. first we tried to ping an internet IP address and the reply was "No
   buffer space available". After that we did "killall -9 ppp" until all the
   ppp processes died. After that we ran /etc/rc.d/ppp-user (it's a 5.3 box)
   again but the connection wouldn't come up (no route to host, when pinging).

2. After reboot everything worked as it should.

I really don't like to reboot servers as soon as they lose DSL connectivity.
Is there any "proper" way to reset the connection (network card?) so that the
connection restores without a reboot?

Previously I've been running Linux on these servers and at that time I didn't
have these problems - a reset of modem would always resolve the problem.

Mostly I am using rl network cards, if that's an helpful info, but somewhere
I also have sis and others.

My ppp.conf:

default:
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP tun command
 set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0
SiOL:
 set device PPPoE:rl0
 set authname user