Graham Bentley wrote:
Hi All,

I am interested in setting up a text based / console system.

So far I have learnt how to recompile the kernel and get
1024x768 console. I have 'mc' loaded because I am
familiar with that. And of course sendmail is already sending mail. Then there is elinks for web ...

What other apps are people using / recommend for other
tasks on this type of system for ;

Email (mutt, pine, other?)
Word Processing
Music CD
MP3
CD Writing
Screen ?

and any other usefull programs that replace their X equivs ?

Thanks !

To play mp3's from commandline I usually just use mplayer, but you might also want to check out musicpd allthough that might be a little to drastic for what you want. For cd-writing I use the burncd command, it comes with the cdrecord port. If you allready had some (gui) progam to burn cd's you can count on it you allready have cdrecord installed :)

For IM-programs ( don't know if you use them ) you might want to check out irssi + bitlbee

--
-Frank Staals