On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, doug wrote:

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006, Erik Norgaard wrote:

Hi:

I have the following sysctl parameters:

hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S3
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1

First, I'd like that the screen is switched off when the lid closes, so I assume that I should set hw.acpi.lid_switch_state to something, but I don't know what.

Second: Is there a way to manually toggle the sleep state so I can create a menu item "sleep" or "standby"?

Last: When the laptop goes into some suspend mode - I don't know which - I don't know how to bring it back alive except for rebooting. What is the secret key combination? (typically).

Thanks, Erik

These are my settings. This is for a thinkpad T42p, your settings may be slightly different.

sysctl:

  hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
  hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
  hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S3
  hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
  hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
  hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
  hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 3

/boot/loader.conf

  snd_ich_load="YES"
  if_ipw_load="YES"
  wlan_load="YES"
  wlan_wep_load="YES"
  acpi_ibm_load="YES"   <---- for thinkpad

If I close the lid the T42p goes to standby, opening wakes up. The sleep button fn-F4 does a suspend, again opening the lid does a resume. I have not figured out suspend to disk but for my purposes suspend draws power so slowly, I have not bothered.

It may be that you do need something set for hw.acpi.lid_switch_state, I do not. Resume does not correctly redraw the X-windows background, but it writing this I noticed I put:

   notify 10 {
         match "system"          "ACPI";
         match "subsystem"       "Lid";
         action "/usr/X11R6/bin/xrandr -display :0.0 -s 0";
   };

inside of the comments in /etc/devd.conf.

I got most of my information from:

  http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~trep/tsrT40freebsd.html
  google
  various Linux sites talking about thinkpads

The devd.conf change works. Trying to help you helped me. I hope this information aids you as well. Without the xrandr, I got black and white stripes randomly for the background.