Check "/etc/newsyslog.conf"
All log-files you like to have rotated, should be mentioned there.

System owned logs are in there per default.

"du -k /var" will tell you where your space is being "consumed".
Maybe your "/var/mail/root" is growing...

How big is your /var anyway?

Armin
--
PUBBOX Postmaster + spam-killer. Free email addresses at http://pubbox.net/