On 11/25/06, Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sat, Nov 25, 2006 at 01:25:45AM +0300, Andrew Pantyukhin wrote:
> I use cvsup to maintain a full local copy of the CVS
> repo. I then use plain cvs to check out different branches
> of src from it. The problem is while cvsup only takes a
> minute each time I run it, cvs takes several times more.
>
> I run cvsup with "-gs" and cvs with "-rR" flags. Should
> I run a local cvsupd server or is there another way to
> speed things up? I only need the repo and the branches
> in read-only mode.

I guess cvs is slower because it needs to check for local diffs
before/while merging in changes.  By contrast cvsup will just blow
away any changes you have made.

Yay! I set up a local cvsupd and it now takes under
10 seconds to update any branch, as compared to
5-7 minutes cvs took.

There's probably not much you can do apart from not checking out full
trees unless you really need them.

You see, I use different branches in jails and on
boxes, so it makes sense to get the whole repo over
the net and sync to the branches locally.