On Mon, Nov 27, 2006 at 01:10:16PM +0200, Dima wrote:

> Hi all.
>  I have Red Hat Linux 9 running on my server with HDD Western Digital
> WD2500JB (250 GB IDE). I'd like to move to FreeBSD 6.1.
>  During install from CD setup doesn't recognize geometry of my HDD (it
> says 484521/16/63 is wrong geometry and switches it to 30401/255/63, but
> after that still can't write anything). Red Hat works with geometry
> 30401/255/63. Also I've tried to enter data from BIOS - it doesn't help
> too.
>  On HDD's manufacturer site I've read, that recommended geometry is cyls
> 16383, secs 63; total sector count - 488 397 168.
>
>  Can someone help me to solve this problem?

Usually, with FreeBSD, you just ignore those geometry messages.
This should be especially true if you plan to use the whole disk
for FreeBSD.    The geometry that is reported is "virtual" and does
not really mean anything for you.    Don't try to do anything to the
BIOS settings for it either.    Just take the [fdisk] option that says
to create one large slice comprising the whole disk for FreeBSD and it
should overwrite everything nicely.

If this doesn't work then it will be necessary to know more about
just what kind of disk you are trying to use.

////jerry