Hello helpful spirit,

I'm trying to add sound support to my FreeBSD Release
4.6.2 kernel but it will not build successfully. Here
is the error output I get (tail of make output):

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
touch hack.c
cc -elf -shared -nostdlib hack.c -o hack.So
rm -f hack.c
sh ../../conf/newvers.sh PATKERNEL
cc -c -O -pipe  -Wall -Wredundant-decls
-Wnested-externs -Wstrict-prototypes  -c
linking kernel
if.o: In function `if_setlladdr':
if.o(.text+0x1bc4): undefined reference to
`arp_ifinit'
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/PATKERNEL.

I'm only one month old in the Unix/FreeBSD environment
and don't really know what should be done to fix this.
I have included my kernel at the end of this message
for reference. I just know that I get some warnings
about some NET, INET and INET6 files... Could this be
related to these options?

options INET    #InterNETworking
options INET6  #IPv6 communications protocols

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated,
Scottman

Here is the content of my kernel:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
machine i386
cpu             I586_CPU

ident           PATKERNEL
maxusers        0

options         INET                    #InterNETworking
options         INET6                   #IPv6 communications protocols
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         FFS_ROOT                #FFS usable as root device [keep
this!]
options         SOFTUPDATES             #Enable FFS soft updates support
options         MFS                     #Memory Filesystem
options         MD_ROOT         #MD is a potential root device
options         MSDOSFS         #MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660          #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         CD9660_ROOT             #CD-ROM usable as root, CD9660
required
options         PROCFS          #Process filesystem
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP
THIS!]
options         UCONSOLE                #Allow users to grab the console
options         USERCONFIG              #boot -c editor
options         VISUAL_USERCONFIG       #visual boot -c editor
options         SYSVSHM         #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG         #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM         #SYSV-style semaphores
options         P1003_1B                #Posix P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options ICMP_BANDLIM    #Rate limit bad replies
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in
/dev

device  isa
device  eisa
device  pci

# Sound card device
device  pcm   # Sound Blaster compatible
device  sbc     # Plug n Play ISA sound card support

# Floppy drives
device  fdc0    at isa? port IO_FD1 irq 6 drq 2
device  fd0     at fdc0 drive 0

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device  ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device  ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device  ata
device  atadisk         # ATA disk drives
device  atapicd         # ATAPI CDROM drives
device  atapifd         # ATAPI floppy drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID   #Static device numbering

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2
mouse
device  atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device  atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device  psm0            at atkbdc? irq 12

device  vga0            at isa?

# splash screen/screen saver
pseudo-device   splash

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an
SCO console
device          sc0     at isa? flags 0x100

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx0    at nexus? port IO_NPX irq 13

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio0    at isa? port IO_COM1 flags 0x10 irq 4
device          sio1    at isa? port IO_COM2 irq 3
device          sio2    at isa? disable port IO_COM3 irq 5
device          sio3    at isa? disable port IO_COM4 irq 9

# Parallel port
device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units
to allocate.
pseudo-device   loop            # Network loopback
pseudo-device   ppp     1       # Kernel PPP
pseudo-device   tun             # Packet tunnel.
pseudo-device   pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device   md              # Memory "disks"
pseudo-device   gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
pseudo-device   faith   1       # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying
(translation)