On Nov 29, 2006, at 6:18 PM, Derrick MacPherson wrote:
We updated to 6.1 this weekend and added 3 300gb drives to the external raid cabinet, they were to go on a seprate controller but the server happens to have a few other boxes on top making it impossible at that time, so we put the 3x300 (RAID5) , upgraded the OS and performance is very poor. When I run systat I see upward of 300 tps on the problematic array (da2) and under systat - vmstat :

It's normal for RAID-5 to perform worse than a single drive-- and sometimes it performs much worse, as in nearly an order of magnitude slower, for the case of very small writes. If you value performance, choose another RAID level like RAID-0, RAID-1, or RAID-10.

--
-Chuck