On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 03:08:20PM -0800, Rachel Florentine wrote:
> 82----- Original Message ----
> From: Kris Kennaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >Reinstall from backup or fresh binary media.
>
> So go to GNU and look for a gcc tarball and have at it. But that's not the
> FBSD way of doing things, is it? I wouldn't do that with MySQL, for example,
> I'd use the port, right? So, what's the FBSD way of doing this?
> TIA,

Uh, what I said.  "Fresh binary media" = either reinstall from an iso
image, or extract a copy of the damaged files from the freebsd release
media in another way (e.g. fetch the base.* files from the ftp site,
and pass through cat | tar -xfj -).

If it was some other file you damaged, you could repair it by just
recompiling from source, but the compiler is a critical part of the
FreeBSD system and you obviously can't fix a broken compiler by
recompiling with itself.

Kris