I have been attempting to get a lava printer card to run under FreeBSD 4.9

I have the understanding that FreeBSD <4.9 and below only have recognition
for isa printer cards and not pci. There -must- have been people out there
using an extra printer on a 4.9 machine that has only pci slots.

In my case, my lava card is recognized by puc0 when the machine boots, but
the puc is normally for serial card recognition and any googling I have done
seems to point to the connection only routing to sio serial devices.

I read one post that it may be possible if I found a pci card that worked
under DOS, or one that has interrupt DIP switches then I might be in
business. Any help or experience that would help here?

I am stuck using 4.9 as I use the ibcs2 module which is broken in 5.0>6.x