patrick wrote:
I'm wondering if there's any way in FreeBSD (4.x on i386) to tell what
the RAM configuration in the system is? ie. Can it show me if I have
four 256MB modules versus two 512MB's? Obviously it would be possible
to just open up the computer and see for my self, I'm hoping I can
save myself a trip and wrecking an uptime of 670 days. :)

I think http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/freebsd-questions_2005/msg18034.html
has an answer you can use.

(basicly try usr/ports/sysutils/dmidecode) this dumps the bios info in a readable form, just look for the memory module information. worked for me

Handle 0x0007, DMI type 5, 20 bytes
Memory Controller Information
       Error Detecting Method: None
       Error Correcting Capabilities:
               None
       Supported Interleave: One-way Interleave
       Current Interleave: One-way Interleave
       Maximum Memory Module Size: 4096 MB
       Maximum Total Memory Size: 8192 MB
       Supported Speeds:
               70 ns
               60 ns
               50 ns
       Supported Memory Types:
               DIMM
               SDRAM
       Memory Module Voltage: 2.9 V
       Associated Memory Slots: 2
               0x0008
               0x0009
       Enabled Error Correcting Capabilities:
               None

Handle 0x0008, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
Memory Module Information
       Socket Designation: DIMM0
       Bank Connections: 0 1
       Current Speed: 75 ns
       Type: DIMM
       Installed Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
       Enabled Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
       Error Status: OK

Handle 0x0009, DMI type 6, 12 bytes
Memory Module Information
       Socket Designation: DIMM1
       Bank Connections: 2 3
       Current Speed: 75 ns
       Type: DIMM
       Installed Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
       Enabled Size: 512 MB (Double-bank Connection)
       Error Status: OK

Thanks,

Patrick