David Robillard wrote:

So, I need to recover data to some other machine, and then see if I can
recover the system file without a full reinstall.

Do you have a USB drive? Can you mount it on the crippled Windows Box?
If so, then I would suggest that you backup the user's data, format
the crippled box's disk drive and do a clean Windows install. After
all, there probably was a virus on this box. Are you sure you want to
take chances?

Well, the system won't boot, not even in safemode, so there is no such alternative. I hope this is just some systemfile in the vault of AVG anti virus.

Take the chance... well it can't get much worse. If at least the system gets back working then I can try other ways to clean it.

Thanks, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org