On Fri, 8 Dec 2006, ????~_???? wrote:

Hello. My office use this method to access wikipedia behind the great
firewall of China:

1) we have a server in europ, let's call it server;
2) I run this command on my desktop:
$ ssh -L 80:en.wikipedia.org:80 server;
3) everybody in the office edit /etc/hosts, add this line:
[my_ip_addr] en.wikipedia.org

So my computer become a 'proxy'.

The trouble is I have to keep the ssh running there. The 'proxy' will
not automatically set up next time I reboot my computer.

Is it possible to install some software to run as a daemon and do this
proxy?

I think of stunnel, but I have too few knowledge to know if stunnel can
do this.

maybe autossh ?
http://www.harding.motd.ca/autossh/
Its in ports
Port:   autossh-1.4a
Info:   Automatically restart SSH sessions and tunnels

Otherwise as many other people have said there are may better ways to do this.

Vince