On Dec 8, 2006, at 1:21 PM, Steve Franks wrote:
Now, I'm a bit of a tree-hugger, see, so I tend to like to suspend my
computers insted of leaving them on perpetually.

You might try turning them off entirely...?

As such, tried acpiconf -s3 initially (others say unsupported).
Seemed to go down ok, but coming back up it reboots every time. Ho
hum.  So I follow the handbook and go apm -Z, but that barely saves
any power (can still hear disk, fan, etc, although screen blanks (apm
-z also casues a reboot)

Try updating your BIOS. Try to verify that all of the hardware you have installed actually supports going into power-saving mode-- I was surprised to discover that, for instance, some USB devices will prevent the system from entering S3 power-save mode.

You might also try tweaking the BIOS settings, and see whether you can get S1 mode working first, before trying to get the deeper S3 mode going.

Reanabled acpi -s3, lo, it appears to work, except, first time, only X
comes back (not vtty's).  Second time X doesn't come back either.  Try
ctl-alt-del, try suspend button, etc, no choice but to power down.

I should mention at this point, that being paranoid, I habitually set
all my fstab's to rw,sync, not just rw, which makes my next finding
somewhat suprising to me:

Upon power up, I am informed my filesystem is toast, and all I get is a shell.

Did running "fsck" by hand fix it?

Note that you really ought to mention some basic details, such as which version of FreeBSD you are running, and what your hardware is...

My question: besides searching for sympathy, does anyone know how to
truly protect a system against unplanned powerdown and/or crash during
disk acess?

By using an external UPS, or a high quality RAID system which includes an internal battery to ensure the disk cache gets flushed....

--
-Chuck